Established in 1948, HE Simm has a proud heritage and a wealth of experience.
HE Simm has gone from strength to strength since it was established by Mr Ernie Simm in 1948 with just £200 behind it. We’ve expanded in size and stature, growing sustainably to reach our current position as one of the UK’s leading providers of building services. Though we have changed significantly over the years, our simple and realistic vision and values have remained constant. So too has the Simm family ownership, which continues to provide the business with leadership, security and direction to this day. Read our story to find out how HE Simm grew from a Liverpool plumbing contractor into a major national engineering enterprise:
HE Simm began life in Liverpool in 1948, when Mr Ernie Simm bought George Hockenhall Plumbing Contractors. He immediately changed the name to that of his father, Harold Edgar Simm, who provided him with a £200 investment to start his business. A natural entrepreneur always eager to grasp new opportunities, Ernie began to knock on doors around the city.
Ernie’s big break came in 1950, when he received his first contract from the ‘Brothers of Charity’ in Liverpool. By 1955, there was a high demand for HE Simm’s services so Ernie purchased new premises on Prescot Road, where the firm remained for half a century. The company continued to win contracts throughout the 1950s, including numerous schemes with Woolworths Group.
As HE Simm’s reputation for excellence developed, the company began to expand significantly. Ernie was awarded contracts for some of Liverpool’s most important projects, including the famous Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King. In 1965, Ernie’s sons Lawrence, Graham and Tony, along with Graham’s wife Jean, joined the business, where they remain to this day.
The company continued to diversify, expanding into new sectors and building upon its portfolio of expertise. HE Simm continued to win contracts for the city’s highest profile projects, such as the Sydney Jones Library at the University of Liverpool and St John’s Beacon (now also known as the Radio City Tower), which was opened by Queen Elizabeth II.
HE Simm continued to work on many of Liverpool’s major developments, including Park Lane Special Hospital (now Ashworth Hospital) and Walton Jail (now HM Prison Liverpool). We also began to expand nationally, working on projects throughout the country for G. Percy Trentham’s Ford Press Shops and Henbury Hall in Macclesfield.
The company increased its nationwide expansion and began to win contracts for developments throughout the UK. Throughout the 1990s, HE Simm worked on major national projects such as Orchard Square Shopping Centre in Sheffield, David Lloyd’s Tennis Centres and RAF Menwith Hill Station for the US Ministry of Defence in Cumbria. We also continued to work on many of Liverpool’s most prestigious developments and welcomed Lawrence’s son, Gareth Simm into the company.
In 2003, we moved from Prescot Road to our current offices at Spinnaker House to accommodate our growing team. The fourth Simm generation now head up the team with Gareth being joined by his brother Greg Simm as Building Services Engineer and Graham and Jean’s son, Martyn Simm as Accounts Manager.
Our sustainable growth continued as the company won contracts for some of the UK’s most prestigious developments, with values in excess of £66 million. 2014 saw our London office open in Grosvenor Gardens to manage our Southern regions and support our significant nationwide expansion. The company also welcomed Graham and Jean’s daughter Victoria Simm as Accounts Assistant, saw Greg progress from Operations Director to Northern Regional Director, Martyn becoming Accounts Director and Gareth becoming Managing Director.